Are You 'Baog'? Signs And Symptoms To Watch Out For To Know If You Are Infertile!


According to research, 90% of couples easily attain pregnancy in the first year of engaging in unprotected intercourse, given that both partners are of the opposite sex and fertile. The remaining 10% are either simply taking longer than usual or are in need of medical help.

The signs of infertility do not easily show making them harder to spot. Some are fortunate to have been given prior diagnoses, however others may be suffering from symptoms they do not even know about.

What are the signs and symptoms of infertility that women need to watch out for? 

1. Irregular Menstrual Cycle
Irregularity in a women's menstrual cycle may be caused by various reasons such as stress, excessive diet or exercise or intake of pills. Listed below are the symptoms to watch out for:

- Amenorrhea or absence of menstruation
- Short menstruation cycle (less than 21 days)
- Long menstrual cycle (takes over 35 days)
- Heavy and long menstruation
- Short menstruation cycle
- Pale menstruation
- Painful menstruation or dysmenorrhea
- Clotty and/or dark purple or black blood flow
- Mid-cycle bleeding

2. Hormonal Imbalance
Hormonal imbalance is caused by the sharp increase or decrease of hormones in the body such as:

- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
- Androgens such as DHEA or Testosterone
- Prolactin
- Thyroid hormones
- Progesterone
- Estrogen


3. Old age
When women pass the age of 35 they are likely to experience a decrease in fertility. Certain causes are:

- Ovarian Cysts
- Uterine Fibroids
- Adenomyosis
- Endometriosis
- PCOS
- STDs
- Recurrent Miscarriages
- Blocked Fallopian Tube
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

As for men, infertility is easily detected through a sperm count conducted via complete semen analysis. The fertility of men may depend on the production of testosterone and estrogen in their body. Some other factors that contribute to male infertility are unhealthy diet and improper lifestyle.

The common characteristics of hormonal imbalance for men are abnormal hair growth, erectile dysfunction or low libido. Erectile dysfunction is the inability of a man to sustain his erection amidst intercourse. This issue is best addressed by a doctor. Hormonal imbalance in men usually concerns the production of testosterone, estrogen, proclatin and DHEA.