The Kerson fruit or aratiles/aratilis is a popular treat among Filipino kids. The red cherry-like fruit is a beloved little snack, plucked by kids who would climb the tree's branches.
It's fairly easy to grow an aratiles tree and many families have a tree growing near them. Some families have even set-up nets under these trees to harvest the red fruit when they ripen.
But did you know that these sweet and juicy fruits have many health benefits?
These are 6 Health Benefits of the aratiles fruit.
1. Aratiles are a very good source of Vitamin C.
-One hundred grams of the berry is equal to 150 mgs of vitamin C.
2. Aratiles are full of nutrients.
-The berries are full of calcium, carbs, fiber, protein, phosphorous, iron, and B-vitamins.
3. The fruit has antibacterial properties.
-The aratiles is a natural antibiotic that helps fight against diphtheria, sepsis, staph, and intestinal bacteria.
4. The fruit is an antioxidant
-The aratiles is full of antioxidants, which get rid of free radicals. Free radicals are the causes of cancer and other such diseases.
5. It provides relief from headaches and gout.
-Eating around 9 - 12 berries 3 times a day may relieve gout pains
-The berries also relax certain blood vessels to relieve headaches
6. Beneficial to those with diabetes.
-The aratiles lowers blood sugar, making it beneficial to diabetic persons.
If you have access to aratiles leaves, then you can boil these leaves into a tea.
These are 6 Health benefits from aratiles tea.
1. The tea can be used to block pain receptors.
2. The tea has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. The tea can reduce blood pressure.
-Aratiles tea contains nitric oxide, a natural chemical which relaxes blood vessels to relieve blood pressure.
4. The tea from the flowers can ease indigestion
-Aratiles flowers can be boiled twice for a drink that eases indigestion and upset stomachs.
5. Researchers are exploring the possible cancer preventative properties of the plant.
-Researchers are looking into the properties of the plant that may reduce tumor growth and cancer prevention.