Taking medication is important if you are experiencing a particular illness. Some doctors also advise their patients that it is important to eat before they take their medicine.
However, not all medication and food are compatible with each other. Some food have side effect while taking medicines for a specific illness.
Here are 8 foods that you should avoid if you are taking medication:
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING MEDICINE FOR THYROID, YOU SHOULD AVOID WALNUTS - Eating walnuts can prevent your body from absorbing the prescripted drugs accordingly.
Doctors also urge that these kinds of medication should be taken before bed. This will cause your body to absorb the drugs properly.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING BACTERIAL INFECTION MEDICINES, YOU SHOULD AVOID CURED MEATS - You better avoid eating cured meats while taking this kind of medication, this can affect your blood pressure.
Amino acids that is found in salamis, dry sausages and processed cheese can affect your blood pressure.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING TETRACYCLINE ANTIBIOTICS, YOU SHOULD AVOID DAIRY PRODUCTS - Antibiotics will be less effective if you often consume dairy products. It is prescribed that these kind of medicines should be taken an hour or two before meals to make ample time for your body to absorb the effects.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING BLOOD THINNERS, YOU SHOULD AVOID SPINACH - In taking thinners and anticoagulants you should not eat leafy veggies and spinach which has vitamin K. The medicine will be less effective and you can risk arterial clotting.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING ANTICOAGULANTS, YOU SHOULD AVOID CRANBERRY JUICE - Thinning of the blood can happen if you drink cranberry juice while taking anticoagulants. If not avoided, this can lead to complications.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING HEART FAILURE MEDICATION, YOU SHOULD AVOID BLACK LICORICE - The chemical glycyrrhizin can cause your heartbeat to be irregular triggering serious complications.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING MEDICINES FOR CHOLESTEROL, YOU SHOULD AVOID EATING AND DRINKING GRAPEFRUIT - If you are taking this medication and eating or drinking grapefruit then leg pain strikes you, you better have yourself checked. This is because the grapefruit juice will cause the medication to boost in your bloodstream.
- IF YOU ARE DRINKING MEDICINES FOR BLOOD PRESSURE, YOU SHOULD AVOID BANANAS - Too much of everything will be dangerous for you. Yes, potassium is good for your body but it can also harm your body if you are taking medicines for blood pressure and eating bananas at the same time. These can lead to complications in your heart like irregular heartbeat and palpitations.